I’ve spent the last two weeks doing author visits, and I’ve just been asked to talk to a group of high school kids about having a career as a writer. I really love the author visits. They give me a chance to get inside different schools and do a little research. I check out what the kids are wearing, what they are talking about, and what they are reading.
In one of the schools, there was a small courtyard which could only be accessed by opening a window from the library. It was a nice, spring day, and a couple of the library TA’s, opened the window and climbed into out. I was fascinated by the courtyard and thought it would make a great scene for a mystery story.
One of the things I do at the visits is share ten facts about me. Here is my list from the last couple weeks:
Ten Facts About Me.
1. As a high school Freshman, I was a wrestling cheerleader. My Mom made my skirt and I sat next to the mat and pounded out cheers. I only did this for one year, but I did like riding the bus with the wrestlers to the matches, and met one of my best high school guy friends on that bus.
2. My favorite job has been working in the Games Department at Six Flags. I did this for two years and worked my way up to being an Assistant Foreman. To this day, I can still tell you how to win many of the amusement park games.
3. Favorite books as a child: The Frances Picture books, Mandy and The Little Princess
4. Favorite books in middle school: Dicey’s Song and Homecoming
5. Favorite books in high school: Danielle Steele books
6. Currently Working on: Kids in Orange: A Collection of Voices—This is a story about my experience working with kids in detention in the poetry workshop. It’s told through vignettes, poems, and flash pieces. I’ve been working on a post-graduate semester with Vermont College the last five months, and I am almost done with a good, solid draft of the story as well as the post-grad. The post-graduate semester gives me the credits I need to keep my teaching certification current in Washington State.
7. Under a writing deadline for: A July 4th Story in the Elmheart Hotel Sweet, contemporary romance story series. The story, Fireworks Forever, is outlined and ready to be drafted. It needs to be turned into my publisher in a couple weeks. I’m not sure it will make the upcoming blog hop, but it will be available by July 4th!
8. Waiting On: Response from an agent about my chapter book submission.
9. Currently Reading: Shelter Mountain, book #2 in the Virgin River Contemporary romance series by Robynn Carr. I didn’t enjoy the first book, Virgin River, but the second one is going much better.
10. Upcoming travel plans: I just booked my registration for the Fall RWA Georgia Moonlight and Magnolia Conference taking place in Atlanta in October. My sister is traveling with me and we’re going to Savannah for a few days after the conference. I cannot wait. Savannah has been on one of my to see places for years!